Monday, September 8, 2008

O.K., it's true -- I'm addicted to the NYTimes

This article was in the Times magazine yesterday. Nothing earth-shattering, but I thought the first few pages would be especially interesting to those of you who live in the D.C. metropolitan area (Becky, I think that's you) Man, I really need to increase my readership. :)

The article gives an overview of the demographic and political geography of the area and uses it as a microcosm for nationwide political trends. D.C. is a great area to use for a comparison like this because the demographic contrasts here are so visual, well-known, and drastic. Driving the five miles from my apartment in Crystal City over the river to Anacostia is like driving into a different world. And driving 40 minutes out to my parent's house in Fairfax County is like driving into another completely different world. And just beyond that is Manassas in Prince William County, and, well......just keep in mind that it's called "Manassas" and not "Bull Run."

I don't really know much about Virginian politics, but what little I've read tells me that the upcoming election will be fascinating to watch around here. Here's another Virginia-politics-related article you might find interesting.

No comments: