Friday, May 1, 2015

Door

For an introduction to Five Minute Friday, click here.

This week's one-word prompt is: Door

Ready?

GO.

The Kentucky Derby is tomorrow!  I thought I would talk about that, because the horses line up and then the DOORS fly open and BAM - the greatest two minutes in sports.

Except they're "gates," not "doors."

Oh well.  My family watches the Kentucky Derby together every year.  My mom makes a fantastic Kentucky Derby pie - if you're not in the know, it's a pecan chocolate pie, and it is RICH.

We each pick a horse - some pick based on the name, others on the odds.  Then we scream and cheer at the television for two minutes, and congratulate the one that picked the winner.

It's just a small tradition, but we look forward to it every year.  I particularly love the montages NBC puts together and shows before the race - a little piece of America, part of our heritage that makes us so unique.

Below is our first Spring picture of Caroline.  She LOVES flowers, though we've had to teach her to be "gentle" so she pats the flowers instead of tearing them up by the roots.  Work in progress :)

1 comment:

Patti said...

What an awesome tradition! We watched the Kentucky Derby when I was growing up, and had our favorites to cheer for, but there wasn't any pie!