Friday, September 14, 2012

Working in an embassy

It has been a sad week for those of us who work in embassies around the world. We are accustomed to going about our work quietly, but now we've been thrust into the spotlight. And that is because US embassies are one, if not the strongest, symbol of America overseas. While the attacks on our embassies break my heart, it makes me proud to be a Foreign Service Officer and to be representing my country abroad. Most of us that work in embassies are not ambassadors; we don't make speeches that make the press, and most of us don't broker high level trade agreements or peace deals. But we make an impact in smaller ways every day as our paths cross with locals in the host country, and everything we say and do can be taken as a representation of the United States, whether we're aware of it or not. It is a heavy responsibility. In the consular section, I talk with over 200 Argentines each day who want to visit my country. They may have had limited or no interaction with an American up to that point. My colleagues and I try our best to greet each person with a smile, with respect, with an appreciation that they want to visit our country and sometimes with a sense of humor.....which brings me to the things that made me smile this week.

"What university do you attend, sir?"
"Universidad de Morón." Pause "That doesn't sound very good in English does it?" (It took me a minute to realize he had made a joke - applicants are usually too nervous to make a joke.)

"Señora, do you have any other nationalities?" "No, yo soy Argentina." (This literally translates as "No, I am Argentine," but it sounds to me like she's saying "No, I am Argentina.". Then I look at her full name and it is Maria Argentina. She really IS Argentina! Her middle name is Argentina!)

A family of four walks up.
"Where are you going to travel?"
The mom speaks right up:
"I'm taking the boys (los chicos) to Disney."
I look at the husband.
He says "Yeah, I'm really hoping she'll take me too."

1 comment:

Patti said...

I have to tell you, my first thought was of you and Mike and what you do when I heard the news. Thank you for sharing your perspective, and more of the humorous interchanges. Delightful!