Saturday, September 1, 2012

War Stories

I had one day this week that was crazy! I've been wanting to blog about it all week because I have so many good stories.

I am currently spending half my time at work in the non-immigrant visa section (tourist visas) and half in the immigrant visa section. I love both. But on this particular day I was in immigrant visas.

My first applicant was a fiancée of an American citizen, moving to the US to marry him and live there. Pretty straight forward case, no fraud or anything. I finished the interview at the window, and told her that the visa was approved and that she could go. She thanked me, and turned to leave the tiny interview room, but the door was jammed. And no one could open it!!! She was stuck in that little room for about 20 minutes before we could get the door open. I told her "At least I didn't refuse your visa and then trap you in here."

The next couple came in and (after seeing so many people try to break down the door) immediately said "We'll just leave the door open, thanks." This gentleman wanted to move to the US with his wife. I had my suspicions that he had been living illegally in the US, and asked him if he wanted to review his statement about his prior travel to the US before signing and swearing before a US Consular Officer. "Sir, I think you HAVE been to the United States before." "Never. Never been there." "Sir, I have reason to believe you have." "That was my brother." "Um, I don't think so. Are you sure you're ready to swear and sign your name to this?" "Well......OK, I entered the US with my Argentine passport in 2000 and didn't leave until 2006.". Me: "Well, thank you sir, for telling the truth.". In my head: "What?! No one ever tells me the truth, what just happened?" The guy just started gushing as his wife had her head in her hands: "Oh, I feel so much better now that I told you, it's like a huge burden off my shoulders, I'm so glad I told the truth!" I was too. He'll still have to wait until 2016 to reenter the US, but telling the truth to a government official can go a long way - now we were able to clear things up and I was able to give him instructions on how to apply for a waiver with DHS. No guarantee he'll get it, but lying in an interview always makes things so much worse.

Then.....I had an American citizen mother applying for her 13 year old son. Mom had gone to the US on a visa and overstayed, but eventually was able to overcome that and become a citizen. However, when her son was 6, she had her brother-in-law smuggle him across the border. Not the kid's fault, and he qualified for an immigrant visa now through his mom, so I was just finishing up his paperwork (though I was grilling the mom about his uncle, trying to get more info on him). Then, the boy starts tugging at his mom's sleeve: "Can I ask her mom? Can I?". He then looks at me and shyly asks "How did you get this job?" My heart about melted, I love talking about my job! He said "I heard that it's really good to know 2 languages, and I know Spanish and English!". I told him he'd go far. Sharp kid. But part of me was thinking he wouldn't necessarily like my job, which is to bust people like his uncle.

THEN: Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor visited the embassy and did a town hall meeting where we could meet her and ask questions! I got to ask a question (see pictures)! She is an amazing lady -- very sharp, but very kind, and for a person so high ranking, she definitely remembers how it is to be much further down on the totem pole. She walked up and down each aisle of seats as she answered the questions (NOT an easy feat. If you've ever tried to get to your seat in an auditorium, you know). She talked about her love and appreciation for work and service, and how everyone, from the hotel staff that cleaned her room that morning, to the clerks on her staff and up, made a difference in the life of someone today. Every kind of work has value, she said. Anyway, it was a great experience -- Mike and I feel so lucky that we get these kinds of experiences in our jobs with the embassy!












3 comments:

Patti said...

Wow! I didn't think about supreme court justices leaving the country. What an opportunity to rub shoulders with her for awhile. I enjoyed reading about what she said and did. I'd admire her even more. Your war stories were awesome. Thanks for sharing Shannon!

Patti said...

I DO admire her even more. Sorry about the typo.

Steve said...

Super cool, Shannon. Who knew that SS was so cool and so fashionable?