Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sports Memories


Here we've got my trophy line up: I played softball for 4 years, from when I was 8 till I was 12.  My first team was sponsored by Applebees and my second by Centura Bank.  I usually played first or second base because I was great at stretching and snatching up throws that landed short while keeping my foot on the base.  I never played catcher because you couldn't wear the catcher's mask with glasses.  Most of my softball team were my neighborhood girlfriends, and we had a great time.  I can still remember all the cheers!  G-O-O-D-E-Y-E!  Good eye, good eye good eye!  We want a single, just a little single, S-I-N, G-L-E, Single Single Single! 

I also played three years of basketball on local rec leagues. My first team was the Wildcats, then the Tornadoes, then the Stingers.  I was never fabulous, but we had a lot of fun.  On more than one occasion, my teammates passed the ball to me, but I wasn't looking and it hit me in the head.  Ha!  We all had a good laugh. 

I played one year of tennis (I should have talked about these sports in reverse order, we're going from best to worst).  It was on a rec league in Raleigh.  I had a few tennis lessons growing up, but I needed a lot more practice.  I remember being beat by an 8 year old once (I was at least 14).  But I learned the rules really well, and now enjoy watching tennis and shouting out "Deuce!"


Oh, and we can't forget my Shannon Miller Barbie.  All this Olympics gymnastics hype has really got me reminiscing about 1996.  Mike caught me last night with my jaw on the ground watching a TV piece about Kerri Strug when she landed that famous vault.  I was so fascinated with the Olympics that year.  I remember jumping up and down on the trampoline with my cousin, Jen, chanting "USA!  USA!"  And of course Shannon Miller was my hero.  This Barbie could do all kinds of tricks, like spin around and bend all her joints.  I brought her on all of our family trips and played with her in the car.  Good times.

No comments: