Saturday, October 10, 2009

Woohoo, I'm here!!!

Hey everyone, just a quick note to say that I've arrived in Venezuela and started work yesterday! I am having a great time so far -- the folks at the embassy are REALLY friendly, work will keep me busy (which I like), I live RIGHT next to a grocery story (even Crystal City, with all it's conveniences, couldn't get me this close), AND.....they have GREAT sushi places here. Mmmmm, I'm set for two years.

Of course, there are the expected (and unexpected) hassles of moving: living out of a suitcase until my stuff comes, trying to figure out the shower, not being able to open a new kind of raspberry jam jar, you know. But other than that, I'm settling in quite nicely.

Today I went with some embassy folks to a glass factory, and we watched a glass-making demonstration! Against EVERYONE'S advice for first-tour officers, I went ahead and bought several TRINKETS. Yes, heaven forbid, trinkets! I got a couple of little glass birds and geese. I got a practical vase too, much to the relief of everyone else, but c'mon, I have to have at least a few trinkets from my first overseas post!

Also, you would not BELIEVE how beautiful it is here. Very green, but very mountainous, and the weather is perfect -- never above 90, and low humidity. Wow. Well, peace out, and more later!

2 comments:

Mike said...

Be safe! And have fun!

Tammy and Alvin said...

How fun! If only we could all live your life. I hope the "more later" comment at the end of your post means you'll be showing us some pics next time. It's not very convincing to mention how BEAUTIFUL it is, but not include a single picture. :) Hope you enjoy your first full week of work!