Friday, August 24, 2007

We read to know we are not alone. -C.S. Lewis

There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson

As the beginning of school approaches for so many, I am feeling a little azul. School is all I've ever known! From the farthest reaches of my memory, #2 pencils and homework assignments have been a part of my life, and now I feel a bit stranded, without anyone pushing me to LEARN! But with my lack of homework comes a surplus of TIME, and I have been voraciously consuming book after book. So refreshing! If any of you have great book suggestions, hit me! I'd love to hear what literary works have changed YOUR lives and made YOU think. Que nunca olvidemos lo que podemos aprender de un libro.

2 comments:

Hollie Anderson said...

Shannon! Yay for books :)! I know that Tony, being an english major and having read thousands of books, really likes books by Ian McEwan (Namely: Atonement) and a book called The God of Small Things by A. Roy (I think). So, yeah..anything my good ol' Ian or The God of Small Things. Happy reading! How's the job going?

rachel b. said...

Hi Shannon! I haven't seen you forever, how's Washington treating you?! I hope you're doing awesome. So here are 2 awesome books for you: "Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger and "Eat Cake" by Jeanne Ray. They're good. Read them. :-)