Wednesday, March 12, 2014

One Month

We survived the first month!  And when I say "we," I mean Mike and I AND Caroline.  Poor girl has had a rough go, some serious stomach discomfort about 24/7.  My heart melts when she looks at me with those sad eyes that say "I'm TRYING to tell you what's wrong, why can't you understand me?"

Although it has been a difficult month, when I say "we survived," I really feel like our little family has had to be a team, which will hopefully be a sweet memory to look back on in the future.  I'd like to remember the countless wonderful meals Mike has made me (y'all seriously need to try his meatloaf, outta this world).  I'll remember the few quiet moments we've had with Caroline, when she made a silly face or fell asleep exhausted in our arms.

And I'll remember how funny it seemed to my sleep deprived brain when we were checking out at the pediatrician's office, the baby screaming, and the lady at the desk said knowingly "Oh, she's had her shots today!"  "No," and I thought to myself laughing, "now I know we have had a rough time if her modus operandi is what other babies reserve for getting shots." I felt strangely validated and Mike and I had a good laugh.

Caroline is a healthy eater, growing well, and we have a very attentive pediatrician's office we're working with, right across the street.  But please forgive the shortage of pictures, texts, phone calls, and blog posts.  We'll get there!  Team Ritchie is on the up and up!

One Month on March 10th

Selfie :)

2 comments:

Chris -n- Meredith said...

It's already been a month?!?! How did that happen? I love the pictures. Pink is a good color for Caroline.

Patti said...

I have complete empathy for your experience. Ted and Amy and Brian were sad little babies. But the crying settles down after a while, and some sleep returns for all(which really helps). No matter how perplexed you might be about whether or not you are doing things well, your love for Caroline trumps any inexperience. Mother on!