Sunday, November 8, 2009

YMCA!

Yesterday, I went to Valencia (2 hours away) with a couple of co-workers for a ceremony at the local YMCA. One of my co-workers was there to represent the embassy, give some remarks, pin buttons on people, etc. etc. Us other'n's were just there to tag along :)

The ceremony had three purposes: 1) To prepare for the Annual Soapbox Derby being held the next day, 2) To inaugurate a new building at the school, and 3) To honor the American who helped found the YMCA and set up a very successful exchange program between YMCA Valencia and a Y in Tennessee.


The Soapbox Derby here is a national competition, and kids were coming in from cities across Venezuela to compete. I'm so sad we couldn't stay! We were
present, however, for an entire Mass and the blessing of the "pilotos" that were going to drive their cars the next day. After the blessing, and right in the middle of the cereomny, one of the Venezuelan boys walked right up to one of the kids visiting from Tennessee and said "Next year, you can come up and be blessed too so you can be in the race." Of course, the-boy-from-Tennessee had no idea what he said, but it was still really sweet.


My favorite part of the whole day was sitting in the middle of this pile of Venezuelan kids, trying to translate so they could talk to the-boy-from-Tennessee. They were so excited, they started plowing through sentences like.....well, like Venezuelans, and I had to hold up my hands and say "Slow down!" So....after.....they......started......talking.......like.......this.......we.......could........continue.

First, the most important thing they wanted to know was whether he had played Mortal Kombat, and if he had committed a fatality. Next, they wanted to know if he had ever been to an American football game. He proceeded to tell them how horrible a team the Titans were, and they responded that the only sport in Venezuela (worth playing, I guess) was baseball. So we talked baseball for a minute, and then they wanted to know if he had a computer. And if he had an e-mail address. And right before my eyes, I was watching penpals in the making, as 20 Venezuelan kids clambered to find a piece of paper and a pen to write down the-boy-from-Tennessee's address. That was so cool.


The man the YMCA (or "im-ca" as they call it here) honored has traveled the world setting up and helping run different YMCAs, from Jerusalem to South Africa. Who knew it was so worldwide? I grew up right down the street from a Y in Cary, NC and I had no idea there were Ys in other countries. Anyway, he also set up an exchange program for kids from Venezuela and America, and has had hundreds of Venezuelan kids come visit him in Tennessee, and has changed a lot of lives while at it. His stories were amazing. And there was such a bond between several generations here and this man who had touched all of their lives. He got to cut the ribbon for the new building, and gave some very tender remarks. All in all, it was a very cool day.


Afterwards, us three co-workers went out to eat at a steakhouse (the name was literally "the farmers assosciation steak house" or something). We drove through a couple of pastures to get there, sat down at the table, and when I looked up, this is what I saw:



Mooooo. I must admit, I think I ate more avocado salad that night than beef. I did have a lovely cut of punta trasera, and though I'm not sure of the exact translation, I do believe it has something to do with the rear of the animal. 1) Due to the root of the word "trasera," and 2) Due to the look our waiter gave us when my co-worker asked him to explain exactly which cut of meat it was.



2 comments:

arh175 said...

You look beautiful in that picture! I miss you girly!

ARH.

Jake G. said...

Keep up the good posts! It's so exciting to see what you're doing as I get ready to head off to post.