Thursday, May 1, 2008

Prayers and Presidents

President Bush has declared today a National Day of Prayer. After reading this in my e-mail at work, I googled a bit to try to discover what national crisis we were supposed to be praying about. But there was none (at least, there's not an official one)! Come to find out, the First Thursday Of Every May is declared a National Day of Prayer. So pick your national crisis (or personal crisis, if needs be) and get to prayin'! And hopefully we'll all realize that it shouldn't take a presidential declaration to get us on our knees a little more often.

In other news, President Bush was the main character in a really bizarre dream I had last night. My family took him to church with us! My Dad was in meetings all morning, so my mother and I went to pick him up. Traffic was REALLY crazy, and I was so impressed at how my Mom kept her cool while simultaneously swerving around vehicles AND chatting with the President of the United States in the backseat. Go Mom! I got to chat with the POTUS as well; he was very personable, and just seemed tired of it all and ready to hand over the reigns to someone else. I'm afraid (in real life) that all of our presidential candidates will have worn themselves out with all the primary-ing and campaigning by the time one of them gets to the presidency. And we could really use a president right now who's got some vim and vigor, optimism and enthusiasm.

Maybe President Bush declared this First Thursday Of May a National Day of Prayer so we could pray for the current candidates. Wouldn't that be his worst nightmare, to be handing over the presidency on Inaugaration Day to our new president, and watch them pass out from exhaustion? I'd probably throw my hands up and shout "Too late, the torch has already been passed!" Then I'd high-five the VP and I'd jump on a one-way plane to New Zealand. Ah, yes.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Awesome Shannon. Awesome. Although, I get the feeling that your dream may be close to reality in some respects.

rachel b. said...

So this really doesn't have much to do with your post except that we saw a movie last night and everyone kept calling the president "potus" and I was so confused! At first I thought they were saying "Otis," so I figured the president's first name must be Otis, but I guess not . . . I'm glad you could confirm that it is, in fact, potus and not Otis. Thank you.